Everyone knows Scrabble, right? Well this is a combination of that and a word scramble. Hence the name.
It can last up to the whole lesson with some classes, or you may want to set a time limit and see who has the most points after that.
Here's how to set it up and play.
You will need:
(Click to download, but as always bear in mind that Google Doc's will mess with the formatting. Download and open in Word to display properly.):
- Poster-print or blow-up the Scrabble board to stick on the blackboard.
- Prepare lists of scrambled words from the appropriate vocab list. I usually make about 40 cards for each group.
- Make groups of four students,
- Use the big board to explain to the class how scrabble works,
- Hand out the packs of scrambled words (one each group),
- Give each group a game board and score board,
- Have them unscramble one word each, and then write it on the game board,
- After writing their word, they must use the key on the scoreboard to add up their score,
- Highest score at the end of the game wins.
Please let me know what you think in the comments.