Class Time: 5 to 10 minutes
Preparation: A list of 10 vocab words from the class' recent study material
- Tell the students to "listen carefully"
- Pronounce each of the 10 words on your list with only a brief pause between words
- Pause for a few seconds after finishing the list
- Ask a volunteer to come to the board and write any one word from your list
- The challenge is for the students, as a class, to recall and correctly write all 10 words
- Allow classmates to help each other or come to the board in pairs or groups to write words
- When the students are satisfied with their efforts, check spelling and write in any missing words
- Pronounce each word again with the class
- As a follow-up, try one of the following:
- Provide example sentences for each word
- Ask volunteer students to say simple sentences using each word
- Have students find a sentence using each word in their textbooks
As a class gets more skilled at and accustomed to this activity, challenge them with longer lists of words. Set a casual goal for them, "Let's see if we can do 15 words today!" and continue as usual.
I did this exact activity in my Japanese class. It was pretty effective, though I personally only had a word to write down once.ReplyDelete